I’m a big fan of making playlists. I make them to fit different moods, to accompany different chores, for every short story I write, for tv shows and movies and characters I love, and, every once in awhile, for a book.
I first discovered Gillian Flynn last September, and promptly kicked myself for missing her before. She very quickly became one of my favorite authors for her creation of dark, unlikeable, but ever-compelling characters, her punch-in-the-gut prose, and her tense and twisted plots. So I decided to make a playlist inspired by Gone Girl.
You can stream this mix on 8tracks, and the full playlist is below the cut.
01. Elbow- Ground For Divorce
02. Death Cab for Cutie- Marching Bands of Manhattan
03. Lana Del Rey- Diet Mountain Dew
04. Churchill- Change
05. St. Vincent- The Neighbors
06. The National- Terrible Love
07. Rilo Kiley- Dreamworld
08. Lana Del Rey- Million Dollar Man
09. The Black Keys- She’s Long Gone
10. The Long Grift (from Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack)
11. Rilo Kiley- A Town Called Luckey
12. OK Go- Skyscrapers
13. She and Him- Thieves
14. Matt Nathanson- Queen of (K)nots
15. Ben Folds ft. Regina Spektor- You Don’t Know Me
For me, these song choices chart the twisted relationship between Nick and Amy from the less-than-truthful rosy beginnings through the meat of the plot. But you may have totally different ideas! Ever gotten to a point where you associated a song with a book or character?