I’ve been nominated for The Liebster Award by A Sea Change. So that’s new! Never been part of one of these things before. Thanks, Natalie. 🙂
- Each nominee must have under 200 followers
- Thank and link to the nominated blog
- Answer their 10 questions and propose 10 new ones for your nominees
- Nominate 10 blogs and tell them that they have been nominated
- Write a post containing the questions
- Include these rules in the post
1. You Can invite 3 people living or dead to dinner – who would you invite and why?
My grandfather Franklin, because he died over a decade before I was born and I’ve always wanted to meet him. Tom Hiddleston, because Tom freaking Hiddleston. And…oh, I don’t know…Hayley Atwell because at the moment I’m obsessed with her Twitter and I think she’s just super funny and sweet and cool and Peggy Carter is my hero.
2. What is your favourite poem and why?
I’ve never been a big poetry person, despite the fact that like 70% of my undergrad degree hinged on studying it. They just don’t stick in my head for some reason. So here, in lieu of anything else, have some Dorothy Parker:
The Flaw in Paganism
Drink and dance and laugh and lie,
Love, the reeling midnight through,
For tomorrow we shall die!
(But, alas, we never do.)
3. What did you want to be when you were a kid? For that matter what do you want to do now?
I went through a bunch of stuff. I wanted to be a hairdresser, a construction worker (that’s where all the boys were and I wanted to be with the boys), for a brief time an astronaut (if only I was good at math!). Most often I wanted to be a teacher. More recently, when I went to grad school I pictured myself at 30 working in acquisitions in one of the big New York or Boston publishing houses. I don’t know where I picked up this deluded idea of myself. It really didn’t work out. But now I’m a librarian, and I get paid to read a lot, so that’s cool.
But what I always come back to is this crazy writing thing, which I’m now trying to approach realistically. I doubt I’ll ever be a NYT bestseller, but one day I’d like to be able to say I’ve put something out there.
4. Tell me a joke – any joke – as cheesy as you like!
How do snails fight?
The slug it out!
5. You can have any animal in the world for a pet – what do you have and what do you call it?
A hippo named Blippo.
6. Favourite Film/ Worst Film – why?
This is difficult. I’m hardly a film buff but picking one favorite is hard. I guess on most days it would be either Newsies or Life of Brian. One’s my favorite musical, the other’s my favorite comedy, and they both make me nostalgic for different reasons. Worst film is also hard; I tend to block out bad ones. Probably the worst film I’ve ever seen is this Elijah Wood thing I caught on Netflix…I think it was called The Oxford Murders and all I remember is that there was a sex scene involving spaghetti.
7. Describe yourself in one word.
8. What would your Superpower be?
9. What Country do you most want to visit?
At the moment, Cuba, because I never ever thought that in my lifetime I would be able to go there.
10. You can give three book recommendations – what are they?
Helene Wecker- The Golem and the Jinni because more people should know and love this book
Tana French- In The Woods because Tana French is probably the single best author I’ve discovered in the past five years
Mary Shelley- Frankenstein because on most days it’s my favorite book of all time
- If you could only read one genre for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Tell me three of your favorite songs.
- What is your favorite book cover ever?
- You have come into possession of a time machine that can make exactly one trip- forwards or backwards. With the understanding that nothing you do in the place you visit will have any effect on your present (so that you can’t screw things up by stepping on a butterfly or use your knowledge to become rich/famous), when would you go, and why?
- If you could play any character in the film/TV adaptation of the book of your choice, who would you be and why?
- Who is your favorite superhero?
- You have to get a tattoo. What would it be? (Or, if you have tattoo(s), which one is your favorite?) Why?
- What is your favorite classic book? Least favorite? Interpret ‘classic’ however you wish.
- Do you think aliens exist, or are we alone in the universe?
- What is the title of your future Biography/Memoir?
Ok, guys, here’s where I fail.
Almost all of the blogs I follow have well more than 200 followers.
I know, I’m such a bandwagon jumper.
ANYWAY. If you are reading this and want to do it, consider yourself nominated! Or if you want to engage with me in the comments about any of my weird questions, have at it.
This tagging/nominating stuff is hard work.